report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Law

Re: Highway Robbery: Illinois Toll Traps?

Lot of Practical and Good information above
Other option is stay away from corrupt IL Tollway, Spend vacation somewhere else better with -
"BIG NO to IL Tollway"

Last edited by jagwaal : 08-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

ill sucks .....move to texas. i used to live in illinois. around st louis cold.....

now it's always hott

Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Dear ElliottNess2010,

I would like to join in on the class action lawsuit against the Illinois Tollway. This summer our family drove around the country and when we got to the first toll in Illinois asked if our Sun Pass worked in Illinois. He said yes it does. Apparently not. We received a letter in the mail for the 4 toll violations in the State of Illinois for our one day pass through amounting to $3.20 in violations. We scheduled our hearing by mail (opting to file for the written hearing as we live in Florida) and our case was rubber stamped with a fine notice for the aggregate of our missed tolls along with four $20 fines for each violation which amounting to $83.20.

I called the Tollway Appeals office to plead my case for a reasonable settlement, but they have no authority, including the supervisor. My final offer is to file an appeal with Administrative order to the 18th Judicial Circuit Court of Illinois Administrative Review Law by October 1st.

I guess the Illinois Tollway apple doesn't "fall far from it political tree".

Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Newbie Member

I'm afraid there may not be a lot of options for you as a Florida resident to fight back except to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Unfortunately you did not record the individual working for ITA who gave you erroneous information that cost you nearly a hundred bucks. Nonetheless, you can from now on keep exact records of each phone call. Make sure you don't get annoyed even if their representative says stuff that is blatantly false as I did. They will mark you down as 'rude' while their own prick representatives can cut you off and brag about how the Edelman class action lawsuit against them was dismissed - and delete this conversation from their records!

Make sure you get from your phone company the records of you calling in to ITA this month or in any previous months. This way you won't have to contact T-Mobile's Law Enforcement Department in New Jersey like I did to pull the records over fifteen months later. To date T-Mobile is simply ignoring my request as they don't have hundreds of dollars at stake and I don't happen to be a member of the NSA, FBI, or a police department so they think they can get away with ignoring me.

At this point I am going to pay the $%6ing fines, but only to prove the point to FTC and to the Texas AG that I am not a scofflaw but a law abiding citizen victimized by deceptive trade practices and make myself eligible to participate in a class action lawsuit to claw back some of that money from ITA's greedy hands later.

Perhaps with some luck once T-Mobile finally coughs up the records, I will be able to prove that ITA failed to keep any record of the calls where I attempted to pay my tolls BEFORE the fines were generated, and thus their system is pre-rigged for generating fines and therefore violates federal consumer laws and the rights of Illinois and non-Illinois residents alike.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Newbie Member

Re: Illinois Tollway - see other thread

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=118396

I go into a lot of detail about how to fight back against them in this thread. The first rule is to keep your cool, never let them claim you were rude to them on the phone even if they may try. Minimize phone contact if at all possible in fact as their attorney is obnoxious and may try to provoke you.

Second, start a case with the FTC. I think only saturating them with such complaints and with a class action lawsuit filed by the Attorney Generals of other states on behalf of their ripped off residents for all of ITA's absurd errors, heads you win tails you lose standards of 'evidence' for their admit no error administrative hearings, and nearly two year delays in issuing violation notices (though their attorney has told me they have in theory no statute of limitations at all on collecting 'violation fines', only a self-imposed limit of two years which could go out the window if the bankrupt State of Illinois gets desperate enough). I think the only way to prove them wrong in an administrative hearing is to demonstrate that your vehicle was out of state at the time with time and dated photos, or that you were fighting in Iraq and your car was in storage, or that you are a survivor of the deceased, or some other similarly huge embarassment. Otherwise they have no shame.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Newbie Member

I should clarify here that recording a conversation in the State of Illinois is only legal with the consent of both parties, and the ITA personnel I have spoken with have all said they would never consent to such. Hence there is really no real way to prove if they are incompetent or gave you false advice on how to pay your missed tolls before incurring fines as they do not record their conversations in house for quality control and training.

(Lest they try to accuse me of advocating anything other than individuals vigorously defending their rights using all legal Constitutional means - one cannot be too careful these days)

Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm moving on...life's too short to waste ****** on fighting this injustice for $80 from 1500 miles away...

Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I am new at Scam.com

So, any update on this topic? I got into the same trap and want to understand what can be done. Sure we need to keep the records in case the class action is started, but is there anything else to be done? In particular, I wish to understand if it's worth to appeal to that 18th judicial circuit court. I live not far away and am willing to come to the hearing. But I wouldn't spend more money, and there is a rumor that filing that appeal costs around $150. That's strange to me because it's nothing near that cost in IN.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Maybe you missed all the signs that said pay toll ahead - Three times?

It happened to me as well. Posting a picture does not make it correct. This is a perfect example why this country is experiencing the problems that we are now experiencing with Banker Bail -outs and hidden taxes placed on it's citizens. People ignore the fact that the off road toll system is wrong. No and, ifs, or buts about it. My off road toll occurred in a different area at night time. However, it is the same injustice. There should be a system in place just like when a bridge is out. A system in place to protect citizens at a railroad crossing from a train. It is no accident that this is not the case. It is a Bankrupt Illinois Government that needs your funds so desparately that they simply steal from you like a thief who robs a naive person walking through a dark alley at night. You who posted pictures to insult a victim are no different than a bad cop who says the citizen should have not been walking in that alley. It is without a doubt a breakdown in our system. Lastly, I will add one more thing to this for our excellent picture taker. Your time is coming too. In the future when they come for you with their approved stealing from the citizens in a another hidden form. Remember what you posted. You should not utter a word just take your medicine because no one will be there to protest for you. Maybe someone will put a picture on the internet as to why you were wrong and should have been able to hold onto your possessions that were seized by the government.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Actaully I just googled "illinois tollway ipass sign" on google images -

here is another example of the sings that our local user just can't seem to understand...

Sure looks like a sneaky trap to me... Wonder what your supposed to do there.... And just to confirm - you went through THREE sets of these signs without even noticing?

Yes please do stay out of Illinois.....
I also am an out of stater (Michigan where we don't have tolls.) that just got a letter for missing 3 tolls in 2010. 1 in January, 1 in June and one in November in 3 different locations/toll plazas in/around Chicago.

The picture above is flawed for 1 reason, I have never seen a toll plaza with this little traffic. The only toll I remember missing is the one in November during Thanksgiving traffic passing through Chicago to go to St. Louis MO. following the GPS through many construction zones and unfamiliar interchanges I notice the 3rd toll sign, by that time I am at the point in the picture and traffic is packed into those lanes and I am forced to go through I pass. If I had gone through a 2nd toll on the trip I would have stopped and paid the fine for the last one but it was the only one I had to go through, I honestly didn't know you could pay online until it was too late (how would I? I only pass through 1-2x per year and am not always the one driving.)
I would imagine the incidents 6 mos and 1 year ago were similar situations. I dread going to/through Chicago because everyone is super aggressive and inconsiderate on the highways.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:

I think I will use this photo in my appeal, they told me there were signs saying I could pay online, thats exactly what I would have been looking for at this point and I never saw such signs. I knew I had missed the toll by the point in this photo and they would be taking my picture momentarily. I don't see any such signs.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I was in illinios in november and right before xmas i recived a bill from the Toll Violations my self worth about 166.00 in tolls and fines. When i called the customer service line they told me i use the I-Pass lanes and I did not use the I-pass lanes. Every ticket I got I paid an attendent or I had to put the ticket in a machine to tell me what i owed and the gate would go up for me. I know that i did not use the I-pass lanes. Now i dont know what to do but i do know i will not pay that 166.00 when I dint break any laws. the customer service people are rude and they say u owe it and they have the image of your plate. What does that mean? they take pictures all day long of peoples plates but it dont mean they broke any laws. They count on computers to do their jobs and send peoploe these bills.Now if I did something wrong I will say it but when you have a sign that say open toll I-pass and cash which lane do you use? duh.All's i know i pay an attendent or a machine. I paid over 50 dollars in tolls to go to ILL then back to Ohio.To have someone on the phone tell me i did something i know i didnt do pisses me off and they are rude as well.Any suggestions on how to fight this?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm from Indiana and had to do a show for work in Illinois. I have not been through there in years. I understand the reasoning for the tolls lanes but I had no idea I needed to get off the highway to pay tolls. I'm use to some type of turn off that tells me I need to pay them money. The signs as they are don't tell me squat.
Okay, the sign says I must pay a toll, where? If I saw them I'm sure I was waiting for a turn off.
So.. as many... I get a letter a month after the fact wanting a $20.00 fine for each occurrence. What a bunch of crap.
I could see, here are your tolls you missed, then a $20.00 fine. I would kick myself, pay it and learn. But $20.00 for each occurrence.
That's not fair, that's me paying for a tax hungry state that is looking to screw anyone to get a few more dollars to line someone's pockets.
Screw you Illinois.... because your trying to screw me.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Got a violation note demanding from me to pay $83.20 for 4 (four!) violations at the same Plaza 17-Devon Ave. The notice says I didn't pay proper fees. I know this plaza well, it's on the exit from I90 to O'Hare airport. The matter is that I actually DID PAY the proper money (in coins) all four times! And I did have green light to go! Twice I was driving my family there and twice I was driving alone to pick them from the airport. I don't know what kind of evidence they've got except for the picture of my plates, but I am going to find out. No way I am paying these 80 bucks. And if I'm forced to pay then will fight with this ILL-designed system as much as I can. Anybody else got wrong tickets from the same Plaza17?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just went to a hearing today. I would like to comment on the exorbitant quadrupling of fines if not paid in 14 days after a hearing decides that a violation has occurred. I think it is unjust.

I have lived in Illinois for most of my life. I have not been an I-Pass user. So, I am use to paying tolls at a booth or an attendant.

After the hearing today, I tried to get more educated about open-road tolling, as I have not been familiar with it, when I use the tollway system. The toll road worker said the difference is in the design for I-Pass users, primarily related to exits and safety, so someone does not get killed.

I am all for safety. But after 3 violations of I-Pass and Open Road tolling, I find the system which forces people who are unfamiliar with the system to making quick decisions confusing and dangerous.

I did not see literature at the Toll Road Authority that informs citizens of changes to the systems or explains the logic of the system to motorists who use it.

The infrastructure of the whole system seems to encourage last-second decisions, even if signs are posted earlier. I am sympathetic to out of state travelers who have been burned by the system. I do not claim to have all knowledge of it myself. I find some of the other posts above intolerant of how a typical driver reacts and sees all stimuli when driving. Perhaps, sometimes there are more important things to pay attention to when driving, such as a truck barreling down behind you.

The hearing officer suggested I get an I-Pass. I will consider it when I can afford that upfront outlay.

I also think that the diagrams they show of the infrastructure and signage at the hearing could be enlarged, to a interpretive level out of courtesy for someone defending their case.

Last edited by unjust : 07-06-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i have no idea about any of these signs and how confusing they are... but my girlfriend and her daughter and grandchildren borrowed my car to go from indianapolis to chicago. while her daughter was driving, she says she inadvertantly skipped the tolls. Her mother, unlike most people took the time to go online and pay the tolls. now i have a bill that says she did not pay the tolls and that "I" owe them $62.40. I am held accountable even though I did not avoid the tolls. I am held accountable because someone used my car illegally. I do not even see how this can be legal. We are still trying to find out why they are billing us for not paying even though she went online and paid them...

Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson View Post
i have no idea about any of these signs and how confusing they are... but my girlfriend and her daughter and grandchildren borrowed my car to go from indianapolis to chicago. while her daughter was driving, she says she inadvertantly skipped the tolls. Her mother, unlike most people took the time to go online and pay the tolls. now i have a bill that says she did not pay the tolls and that "I" owe them $62.40. I am held accountable even though I did not avoid the tolls. I am held accountable because someone used my car illegally. I do not even see how this can be legal. We are still trying to find out why they are billing us for not paying even though she went online and paid them...
so here is what i have found out... she went online to pay, but it was not easy to figure out what tolls she had missed... so she just had to pay for the number she thought she missed, so she thought she missed two so she paid for two tolls... she did not know how much the tolls were, so shed paid the maiximum amount $2 a piece for a total of $4... actually she missed three 80 cent tolls so she owed $2.40 ... that did not stop illinois from sending me a bill for all of them... when i pointed out that she had paid for two of them they said okay you still owe 80 cents plus $20 fine... (even though we had already given them more than we had owed in the first place)... he explained that the entire bill was sent so we would know what tolls had been missed and that we would not be confused... i said no that it was an attempt to get me to pay for something i did not owe... the bill should have reflected that two of the fines had been payed and that the third one was still owed... this is definately fruad.... they knew i had paid for two fines yet they sent me a bill for all of them.... i asked him to be honest with me... did he feel that was a fair way to present the bill... he said definately... there was no way illinois would know that was the fines i wanted to pay... i explained that the bill should reflect all recent transactions or it was disceptive... he would not agree to that so i told him i knew that he is not an honest person.

when i asked why i was responsible for a toll violation even though i was hundreds of miles away i was told that i was responsible for the car... I tried to explain to him that i was not operating the car and the car did not violate the toll, rather the operator did... if someone gets pulled over for drunk driving while borrowing my car, me and my car are not held responsible... he just said that is different... i tried to think of something off of the top of my head that would be similar to borrowing something and doing something passively illegal with it so i said if someone borrows my gun and takes it into a hospital where it is not allowed, i am not held accountable... the illinois tollway guy said thats different... he explained that the car is registered to me... i explained that the gun is registered to me.. he cleared it all up when he said that's just different....

i asked him what my appeal options were and he said i could appeal it but that if i did i would lose and have to pay additional fees plus the total fines as well...

i asked him what would happen if i did not pay.. and he said it would be turned over to a collection agency and they would wreck my credit... i asked him if he really thought that it would be right to wreck someone's credit over an 80 cent fine... (don't forget we already paid them $4 for $2.40 worth of tolls)... he said well there will be lots more penalties tacked onto it before collections... i could not get him to understand that the penalties were all simply made up fees ... that the real dispute was over 80 cents....

he also said my liscence and registration might be revoked... i asked him if he really thought indiana would revoke my license over owing illinois 80 cents...

in the end i tried to get this man to be honest with me again i asked him how he could have any self respect working for a place where it was his job to not be honest with himself, openly lie to people and cheat them out of money... he said he liked his job... enough said.

Last edited by wjohnson : 07-16-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just got virtually the same letter today for 3 tolls in less than 24 hours. I, too, saw what appeared to be exits that I did not want and continued on my way from Michigan to Rockford, IL. Were you able to get them to accept a payment just for the tolls?

Jill :(