report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Political Chat
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Diamond Member

Delay Indicted Again

Quote:
A Texas grand jury on Monday indicted U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay on a new charge of money laundering.

A different grand jury whose term ended last week indicted him on a conspiracy charge, forcing DeLay to temporarily step down as House majority leader.

Both indictments accuse DeLay and two political associates of conspiring to get around a state ban on corporate campaign contributions by funneling the money through the DeLay-founded Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee to the Republican National Committee in Washington. The RNC then sent back like amounts to distribute to Texas candidates in 2002, the indictment alleges.
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...ndictment.html
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...pstory/3380481

Old 10-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Lady Moderator- Just call me Your Majesty

Re: Delay Indicted Again

What's this we hear? More cards falling down, the right cursing and shouting, "witch hunt, witch hunt"!
ROFLOL

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/...ay.indictment/

DeLay indicted on money laundering charge

Monday, October 3, 2005; Posted: 6:56 p.m. EDT (22:56 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Texas grand jury has brought a new charge of money laundering against Rep. Tom DeLay, the former House majority leader indicted last week on conspiracy charges stemming from a campaign finance probe, the congressman's office said Monday.

In a written statement, DeLay called the indictment another example of "prosecutorial abuse" by District Attorney Ronnie Earle.

"He is trying to pull the legal equivalent of a 'do-over,' since he knows very well that the charges he brought against me last week are totally manufactured and illegitimate," said the Texas Republican. "This is an abomination of justice."

In the initial indictment, DeLay was accused of conspiring with two associates to steer corporate contributions to state House candidates, which is illegal under state law, by sending the money through GOP groups in Washington.

That charge forced DeLay to give up his position as majority leader, but he said Sunday he thinks he will return to his leadership post after the case is resolved.

"I think it will be over and be over very, very soon. And I think I will go back to be majority leader," he told "Fox News Sunday." "And at the same time, I'm still a member of Congress. I'm going to be working on the agenda and doing everything I can to make good things happen."

DeLay, majority leader since 2002, also said the charge that he conspired to evade campaign finance laws in his home state of Texas was "politics at its sleaziest."

"My lawyers tell me that this is so frivolous, so over the top, so embarrassing to the judiciary that we ought to be able to get it out of here quickly," DeLay said.

The rules of the GOP conference call for members to give up leadership posts if they are indicted. House Republicans selected Majority Whip Roy Blunt of Missouri as their acting leader, with Reps. Eric Cantor of Virginia and David Dreier of California also taking on additional duties.

DeLay's troubles stemmed from contributions to a political action committee, Texans for a Republican Majority (TRMPAC), which was designed by DeLay to help the GOP capture control of the Texas House in 2002.

DeLay, 58, said Sunday Earle, a Democrat, was attempting to "change election law through the courts."

Earle has denied any partisan motivation, telling reporters in Austin Wednesday that 12 of the 15 public corruption cases he has prosecuted involved Democrats.

An attorney for DeLay, Dick DeGuerin, told CNN on Thursday that his client didn't violate the law and he hoped a judge would throw out the case. If not, he said, he hoped for a trial by the end of the year.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&siteid=google

DeLay indicted on new charge
By MarketWatch
Last Update: 7:33 PM ET Oct. 3, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay was indicted in Texas Monday on a new charge in connection with an alleged political money-laundering scheme, according to a media report.

DeLay, a Republican from the Houston suburb of Sugar Land, is accused of money laundering in the indictment handed up by a Travis County grand jury, the Associated Press reported.

"(Travis County District Attorney) Ronnie Earle has stooped to a new low with his brand of prosecutorial abuse," DeLay said in a prepared statement. "He is trying to pull the legal equivalent of a 'do-over' since he knows very well that the charges he brought against me last week are totally manufactured and illegitimate. This is an abomination of justice."

DeLay's associates, John Colyandro of Austin and Jim Ellis of Washington, were each indicted on a money laundering charge last week, the AP said. Money laundering is a charge under the criminal code, not the election code.

DeLay stepped down from his leadership position last week after a different Travis County grand jury, whose term expired Sept. 28, accused him of conspiracy in connection with the alleged laundering of corporation donations to Texas candidates in 2002 through a political committee formed by DeLay and the Republican National Committee.

Texas law prohibits corporate political contributions.

The grand jury whose term expired in the past week handed up 41 indictments during a three-year investigation, including the conspiracy charge against DeLay, the AP reported.

The latest indictment, from a grand jury whose term began Monday, came just hours after DeLay's attorneys filed a motion to dismiss the original case.

That motion claimed the conspiracy charge was based on a law that wasn't effective until 2003, the year after the alleged money transfers, according to the AP.

"Since the indictment charges no offense, and since you have professed not to be politically motivated in brining this indictment, I request that you immediately agree to dismiss the indictment so that the political consequences can be reversed," the AP quoted attorney Dick DeGuerin as writing in a letter to Earle.

The judge that will preside in DeLay's case is out of the country on vacation and couldn't rule on the motion, the AP said.

DeLay stepped down as the Republicans' floor leader in the House after the first indictment was returned. He has proclaimed his innocence, attacked the first charge as a political witch hunt and hinted he may seek to return to the House leadership if he is acquitted or the charge is dismissed.