report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Political Chat
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Why does this webpage support scams?

"Are You Happy Bush Won? Cast Your Vote and Get $250 at Starbucks "

You must spend lots of bucks to get your $250 gift! :confused:

Old 09-02-2005, 06:24 PM
tommywho70x

Re: Why does this webpage support scams?

Welcome to the World Wide Google Whack Mini-banner exchange/L=x (x=0-2) Yahoo! Type 'Search' here and hit Go Search! Bus 0 Cache 0 File 0 MSCD001 Unit 0 Bank 1x1

Congratulations, SCAM.COM member, would you like a triple latte' with your Java Mugshot?

What you are concerned with here is probably one of the most popular and common Internet advertising ploys: A public opinion poll question that links to a web site where you answer the question, a whole mess more survey questions and then discover that to get your gift you are required to participate in one or more of a number of special offers that take a purchase to fulfill.

My bet is that the SCAM.COM DOMAIN OWNER has no idea whatsoever what banner ads Google Ad Service may be running on the site on any given day until he sees it sitting there. I'm pretty sure that free public Internet site administrators have severely limited control over content added to their pages under contracts with outfits like Google.

Old 09-03-2005, 08:51 PM
tommywho70x

This posting by Worried In the USA has been ignored by the owner of SCAM.COM and the message board moderators.

After following some of those Google Ads to see where they lead, my conclusion is that a significant portion of them, if they are not outright crimes of deceit (Fraud), they are certainly in a vein that can be called for questionable business ethics.

What's the deal here?

what assurances do we have as members that SCAM.COM servers are not enabling access to our computers for business intelligence gathering webbot botnet applications to copy personal, private, sensitive information that may be stored inside them while we are connected to SCAM.COM reading and posting to the message board?

Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 PM
1--800-282-2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywho70x
Welcome to the World Wide Google Whack Mini-banner exchange/L=x (x=0-2) Yahoo! Type 'Search' here and hit Go Search! Bus 0 Cache 0 File 0 MSCD001 Unit 0 Bank 1x1

Congratulations, SCAM.COM member, would you like a triple latte' with your Java Mugshot?

What you are concerned with here is probably one of the most popular and common Internet advertising ploys: A public opinion poll question that links to a web site where you answer the question, a whole mess more survey questions and then discover that to get your gift you are required to participate in one or more of a number of special offers that take a purchase to fulfill.

My bet is that the SCAM.COM DOMAIN OWNER has no idea whatsoever what banner ads Google Ad Service may be running on the site on any given day until he sees it sitting there. I'm pretty sure that free public Internet site administrators have severely limited control over content added to their pages under contracts with outfits like Google.
good pinballwizard :)

Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 PM
1--800-282-2882

Quote:
This posting by Worried In the USA has been ignored by the owner of SCAM.COM and the message board moderators.

After following some of those Google Ads to see where they lead, my conclusion is that a significant portion of them, if they are not outright crimes of deceit (Fraud), they are certainly in a vein that can be called for questionable business ethics.

What's the deal here?

what assurances do we have as members that SCAM.COM servers are not enabling access to our computers for business intelligence gathering webbot botnet applications to copy personal, private, sensitive information that may be stored inside them while we are connected to SCAM.COM reading and posting to the message board?
bad pinball wizard :mad:

Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 AM
tommywho70x

would you like to elaborate why one post was good and one was bad?

you probably have little or no knowledge of how your store bought brand name PC works or how all those awful things like identity theft happen or PC viruses get propagated, but i do and i see a very real potential in those Google Ads for providing access to the types of roaming web applications that do that kind of stuff to people's computers when they are visiting non-secure (FTP/HTTP) web sites.

i would like some reassurance from the (human) administrators of SCAM.COM that it is safe for my computer to be form an Active Connection to www.scam.com [66.230.142.23]
so that i can have the pleasure of giggling at a bunch of jack-asses and elephants display what suckers they are.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:55 AM
1--800-282-2882

Target: www.scam.com
Date: 9/4/2005 (Sunday), 4:54:57 AM
Nodes: 04

Node Data
Node Net Reg IP Address Location Node Name
4 1 1 66.230.142.23 Jersey City www.scam.com

Packet Data
Node High Low Avg Tot Lost
4 217 217 217 1 0

Network Data
Network id#: 1
ISPrime, Inc. NET-66-230-128-0-1 (NET-66-230-128-0-1)
66.230.128.0 - 66.230.191.255
oXeo Networks OXEO-66-230-142-0 (NET-66-230-142-0-1)
66.230.142.0 - 66.230.143.255

the good one was inquisitive. the bad one was quite condescending. read it again. ;)

Old 09-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Shareholder

George has no control over the google ads a certain part of the site displays, because Google Adwords come up based on what the html code contains. If the thread is about Bill Gates, you will see a bunch of computer-related ads.

If it's about prozac, you'll see a lot of pharmacy related ads. George is also affiliated with another company that pays per banner impression/click, he might have more control over that as he can choose which company he wants to affiliate with (and scam.com does have quite enough traffic to draw paying advertisers).

Tommy is right though, the 'game is dirty' here on the internet, do not take any advertisement at all seriously (if it makes no sense). There are websites out there that are very, very desperate for traffic: They will lie, steal and cheat to get your attention.

Also, it's safe to say 99% of "competitions" online are trash. You will never win that car or "luxury vacation". They simply want your home address, real name and email, they collect hundreds of thousands of them and sell them to marketers. Why? Because they know that out of those hundreds of thousands, if you pull a marketing campaign on them, there will be always a few hundred purchasing the product no matter how crappy it is. Be careful folks. :)

-Lance

Old 09-04-2005, 01:39 AM
1--800-282-2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
George has no control over the google ads a certain part of the site displays, because Google Adwords come up based on what the html code contains. If the thread is about Bill Gates, you will see a bunch of computer-related ads.

If it's about prozac, you'll see a lot of pharmacy related ads. George is also affiliated with another company that pays per banner impression/click, he might have more control over that as he can choose which company he wants to affiliate with (and scam.com does have quite enough traffic to draw paying advertisers).
Be careful folks. :)

-Lance
nice information. html code interpretation. hmmmmm :cool:

Old 09-04-2005, 01:41 AM
tommywho70x

There was no condescension of this site or its owner. I spend too much of my time already at this console cleaning out cookies and killing spy botz.

I generally avoid Google like the plague because I already have more problems than most people deserve with MSN and SBC. I just asked for some assurances from George that it was safe to be connected to a site using aggressive Google Ad service.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Shareholder

I don't think there is any way google ads can cause trouble to your PC- they are text-only. The risk that you would get any sort of disruptment by google ads is as probable as you creating your own hyperlink and getting a virus from it. It's simply not possible.

Clicking the ads is an entirely different thing though. It's up to you if you click them or not. George will get paid a certain percentage of the bid for the click, but google monitors it carefully (so don't try typing a thread full of the words 'asbestos' and 'mesothelioma' because those keywords pay almost $80 per click and they are probably the closest monitored keywords).

-Lance

Old 09-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Lady Moderator- Just call me Your Majesty

Quote:

What's the deal here?

I have not ignored the question, I've been out helping with victims of the hurricane. Sheesh. Scambuster volunteers for the Red Cross, he's not available to answer questions at the moment. George doesn't read all the threads and is only on here occassionally. The ads are controlled by Google. George makes a fee for having them here, it pays for the upkeep of scam.com. It has been explained in the announcements folder if anyone ever actually read the announcements. :rolleyes:

I can't give you the assurances you are requesting, sorry. I haven't had any problems and I've been moderating here since April. I do have to clean out more cookies and spyware than I did before but nothing malicious yet. In fact it's when the kids use my computer to access their favorite sites I have more problems, lol, and these are just kid sites. So, I must put their computer back together I guess, and network them back in.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Old 09-04-2005, 11:05 AM
tommywho70x

I know the ads in and of themselves are not the potential hazard. It is the bi-directional, readable communications signals that are generated when active connections are established which get are exploited by compressed malware to inject themselves into the "data stream" and attach to the target desktop/laptop detected.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

This thread should explain it.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=88316#post88316

Old 09-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Lady Moderator- Just call me Your Majesty

Quote:
I know the ads in and of themselves are not the potential hazard. It is the bi-directional, readable communications signals that are generated when active connections are established which get are exploited by compressed malware to inject themselves into the "data stream" and attach to the target desktop/laptop detected.

Well, since I am not a computer technician I couldn't tell you if any of this is a potential hazard to your computer from this website. Do you not have any kind of protections against these kinds of attacks on your system already?

Lady Mod

Old 09-04-2005, 05:10 PM
tommywho70x

Of course, and because of the nature of the "Microsoft Business Platform", the more robust I build my defenses, the more crap my computer attracts from their "Top-Level Domain OEM Channel Partner" [Name&Org](W3.ORG) wanting to know how I do it without paying me for the privilege of using my "Intellectual Property" to enrich, enhance and maximize the enjoyment of their customer/subscriber's "Windows Out-of-Box Experiences (OOBE)" (Sit back, relax, enjoy!EXCLAMATION Point Manager Wizard)

My house is a sitting duck, quacking gaily to the entire world that there is an advanced Windows NT Peer Web 'localhost#127.0.0.1' server system inside of it for (VRML) Internet killer whales lurking in the sub-surface shadows to snatch and swallow.