report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Mail Order Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just won 500,000 according to

MONUMENT SWEEPSTAKES PRIZE INC.

I'm 90% sure this is a scam:
Need a couple more opinions before I toss this in the fireplace.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:24 AM
The Ultimate Moderater

Re: I just won 500,000 according to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishkin
MONUMENT SWEEPSTAKES PRIZE INC.

I'm 90% sure this is a scam:
Need a couple more opinions before I toss this in the fireplace.

Toss the piece of crap in the fireplace. Then send the ashes to hell

Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thought so. I did like how they tried to make the envelope look like it was from Great Britain, with the Royal Mail logo and all that... almost got me lol

Old 12-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I am new at Scam.com

i got the same thing it is 100% scam

Old 12-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold328
i got the same thing it is 100% scam
i am from argentina, and i received a letter from the
UKONLINE NOTIFICATION DESK.
GOVERNMENT ACCREDITED LICENSED!!!
UKONLINE INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY
IS REGISTERED UNDER THE DATA PROTECTION ACT OF;
(Registration Z720633X).

it isn't a scan, i followed the steps, i don't know what to do because they give me numbers to contact them, here it is really difficult to get money to go there and det the prize, is it true or not? please, if someone can tell me this is true i would thankyou a lot!!!!
sebastiandetinogasta@hotmail.com

Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 AM
Silver Member

You have been warned. It is a scam.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I got the exact same letter today. Mine is dated 29th nov. 2006. the rest is the same dates and time. What can they do if someone calls the number?
steal your phone number, and charge calls to your bill? Is'nt this mail fraud? A federal crime in the USA. About 20 years in the federal pen. That is a big price to pay for a few free phone calls.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Yes it is a scam. I have received the same letter as the rest of you. But I was sceptical to the very end. I even followed the procedure they instructed me to just to see what will happen, right down to them sending me a cashier check. They took very precautious steps in order to make sure the check seem valid. Just by me still being sceptical, I call the so call number on the check to see if it is verifiable and was told that it was by the gentlemen. But still I refuse to take his word for it. So then I took it to the bank to verify it as legit, and it was not!!!!!!!!!!! So I call the gentlemen in London to see just how did he came by my name. But his response was very poor. When I let him know that his check was fradulent, the phone line went dead. (Besides, both gentlemen talk with an Indian or Arab accent instead of a refine English accent.)

Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I got the same letter saying my winnings were $50000 it is a bunch of bull. I am turning my letter over to the better business bureau. Probably nothing they can do but will at least make them aware---bigguysd

Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Newbie Member

I believe, here within the US, it isn't mail fraud unless they ask you for money, but
you can check with your postmast. Sorry, the letter is difficult for me to read,
and I cannot see where they actually ask you for money?

You have to understand too that you can have anything printed. I have received
certified checks that were fraud, from a real bank, with the correct routing number,
check number, account number, etc., that was checked out, and a week later
my bank's security phoned me and said it was fake. I just don't know how they
would scam you, and go through the expense this person went through, unless it
was it was one of those area codes that charges some ridicules amount of money
per minute. But, I looked up the main phone number and called them. So even
if you receive a check in the mail, have your bank's security check it out, then
if it is good, they can deposit it for you. I don't know if you are like me, but I
have no idea how many times per week that I am select for some kind of contest
normally magaines, etc.

Gene

Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

i got the exact same letter, except the dates were changed. even the lottery numbers i won with were the exact same (talk about lucky numbers, LOL)...

i called the number, expecting them to ask for a credit card or bank info.. they didnt. only wished me congrats for winning, and saying a letter would arrive in 10 days. they said to call them when that happened, and they would send me a cashier check for the funds, minus what would be taken out for taxes in UK.

sure enough, 10 days or so later there was a letter, along with a cashier check for about 2900. the check was from "Country Federal Credit Union" in Baldwin, FL.

<>

well, prior to receiving this 2nd letter, i had found this website and was almost certain it was fraud. so i copied down the bank info, looked it up on the net and compared the info to what was on the check. everything was the same except the phone number. the check showed a 1-877 toll free number, where the bank only has local numbers (long distance for me) with an area code.

so, i called the bank, and asked them about the routing number, check number, and account under 'Peter Marsh'. sure enough, it was fake.

THE SCAM IS THIS: apparently, if you deposit a check and it bounces, an electronic trace is formed between your bank and the affected one, and the check is either sent back, or the originating party is notified of insufficient funds. either way, your ACCOUNT NUMBER is attached. so they scam your money out of your account.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I received this letter yesterday. As previous posters mentioned, the dates are different. Everything else is exactly the same. Just in case someone is still not sure of whether it is a scam or not, I want you to know that it has ALL of the signs of a scam...
1. "act now"
2. you've won a prize when you didn't even enter into a contest
3. "clearance fee" when only governmental agencies may collect taxes
4. "for security purposes" keep your winnings confidential
5. call a foreign number
6. "final notification" (what happened to the FIRST notification?)

When I received this letter I was immediately suspicious because it was mailed to my previous home address and then forwarded to my new home. I moved early last year, yet I won the "sweepstakes" late last year, however they sent it to my previous address. If it is so important that I keep my "winning information" confidential", why did they put this same information in a letter? Also, I thought to myself, if this sweepstakes company can afford to give me $50,000, why can't they afford professional letterhead since their primary contact is through direct mailing? Why did they not take the time to put my actual name in the letter instead of "Dear Sir"? Oh yeah, if it is a quarterly prize, how did I win on Oct 13, 2006 when the original poster (MISHKIN) won the same quarterly prize on August 13, 2006?

Whatever, SCAM SCAM all the WAY
If you're the next sucker, you're sure to PAY!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi All,
Well obviously this is an identity theft scam, they have chose a small financial institution and obviously have already bypassed their internet security system. What they have done basically is hacked into the banks internet security and now have access to all transactions relating to the Sweepstakes winners. As a previous poster had mentioned they do send out a cashiers check and obviously when it is found to be bogus the winners bank will contact the legitimate institution that the check was drawn on along with all the personal information of the scammed winner. By monitoring these electronic transmissions regarding the bogus checks, the scammers are able to obtain your personal info and obtain and use your id. BEWARE! And to the poster that knows of the financial institution that has been hacked you should make them aware of this scam if they are not already privy to it.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Oh and by the way it seems that most that have been notified have changed address and that is probably how they are obtaining the winners names, maybe they have hacked into the Post Office too?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

We also received this SCAM from MONUMENT SWEEPSTKAES PRIZE INC, on 3/26/2007. The SWEEP STAKE letter looked exactley like the ones in the previous post except the address in the top right corner has been changed to 5 Chelsea Road, London, UK. SW7 3NP. The phone number listed is 01144-798-222-7944. I won't pursue it as the gentle in the previous post has done the research! Good job and kudos! :)

Old 04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

Residents in the USA can not participate in any lotteries outside the borders of the USA. It is against the law.

Below is a link to the FTC itself.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/intlalrt.htm

Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just received the letter. My numbers are the same the the first persons. Total bull****. I hope the people in this scam get Aids and their kids get brain cancer and die a slow miserable painful death.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i just got the monument sweepstakes prize scam letter. these people are better than the ontario lottery one, however they made one rather obvious mistake. Handwriting the address on the envelope. And like I'm going to call England. aloha