report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Nigerian Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-16-2004, 12:04 PM
thezman thezman is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2
watchout for this scam!!!!!

This is a new kind of scam going around

Recently a girl called me up to tell me I have been selected to receive some goverment fund of 10K freely, which I suspect is a scam. I asked her I didnt apply for any goverment grant. she replied you need not apply, the federal government takes a lottery out of all the tax payers names & chose you to receive this free fund. (woooo Jesus...i been in US just 3 months & when did i get into the taxpayers list???!!!) I pretended I got excited but at the back of my head I was thinking, how much is your 'processing fees & stuff'. To my expectation, she forwarded my call to another guy.(aaaha!! 1st sign this is a scam....) he explained the same basic rules ..will be put it in my checking account blah blah...but u need to make payment of 245$ by some date. (there goes the 2nd sign its a major scam). I asked why dont u take urself from the grant fund & gimme the rest..he replied no we cant do that...we are just outsouced to send the funds to you. (at this point another striking thing struck me... its pretty clear that the girl & the guy are calling from indian call center ..how do i know that? well I m from india too, by their accent i can sense that, but i kept on asking if they are calling from India, but they kept on replying they were calling from Florida)...(no city, but just Florida)...another silly mistake...cos my girlfriend (who works in call center) told me that the call centers in india are not supposed to reveal their original location as india.& most importantly all the federal outsourcings to Indian companies have been cut, if I am right.

But the strange thing is, they are located in US...as they gave me their customer service center number is some 888 number. and also, the guy told me like they will be sending the 245$ back in the form of govt bonds. I doubt which pea-brained fella can offer such deal. Cos if they break their promise, they will be messed up for life, atleast in US. I am waiting for their documentation to come in which I will be given instructions to make the payment & also to claim the grant i need to fill some crap documentation.

Pretty hard to deal. But finally, I gave up the idea of dreaming of 10 grand & let my meager peanuts salary rule my living.

I never thought India was also into such technical scams but too far behind Nigeria...

just to make sure...these are the sure signs of a scam...aplicable in mails as well

1. the initial caller will tell you its free (DAMN we are not animals living in woods to get everything free)
2. then the call will be promptly put to another supervisor or team leader or claims manager or some other guy for extra details..who will reveal you will get 10K USD out of nowhere, but comes with a small processing fee, which you must pay out of your pocket...
3. They will try to get you as much as possible by extending dates... first he said to me to make payment in 10 days...i said...i dont have it....he said ok we can extend it but make sure you make payment by 1st week next month.
4. If theres a marketing thing involved in it you know what it is.....(like in my case..during the call i have been given an option to sign up for some cheap long distance calling... (when did the govt start promoting long distance calls to tax payers????!!!!)
5. if the caller has a non-american english accent..then i bet the call is from india..make sure you ask their location.. & he/she will tell you they r calling from US...(in this case..they said again & again they calling from florida!!!but no city)
6. to make it more exciting, some scammers might ask you to keep the whole deal a secret, as they dont want to mix up names......
7. make sure u dont give any imp details of yours..like SSN & credit card no. & bank account/routing number.

if any more hints you got..post 'em here...

till then
sayonara scamming loosers...


Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 11-22-2004, 09:23 AM
thezman thezman is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2
Just as I expected.....

Check this link

http://consumeraffairs.com/scam_alerts/grant.html

they are going from state to state.... they could land up in your state next time....



Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-08-2005, 07:08 PM
klaudie klaudie is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
Attention Needed.

I received this yesterday. Posted from "tonycurtis50@netscape.net"

Dear Sir/Madam,

This mail will definitely be coming to you as a surprise, but I must
crave
your indulgence to introduce myself to you.

I am Mr. Tony Curtis, a Manager at the United Bank Ltd, London.
However I
got your contact through the International web directory.

Recently we discovered a Dormant Account with a huge Amount of Money
Valued
USD17, 600,000.00 (Seventeen Million, six hundred Dollars Only) that
belongs
to One of our late Customer MR. KRAANVOGEL DIONIJS. who died In a
plane
crash. During our investigation and auditing in this bank, my
Department
came Across a very huge sum of money belonging to MR. KRAANVOGEL
DIONIJS
from Beverwijk, Netherlands, who died along with his wife, MRS.
KATRIEN
DIONIJS and Daughter, MS. SOFIE DIONIJS so the fund has Been dormant
in his
account with this Bank without Any claim of the fund in our custody
either
from his Family or relation before Our discovery to this development.

The Banking law here stipulates that if such money remains unclaimed
for 15
years, it will be forfeited to the Bank Treasury as an unclaimed bill.
It is
only a foreigner that can stand as a next of kin and it is upon this
discovery that I decided to contact you to collaborate with you to
pull out
this dormant fund. In order to avert this negative development. On
behalf of
my trusted colleagues we now seek your permission to have you stand in
as
next of kin to Our late Customer so that the fund will be released and
paid
into your account as the beneficiaries next of kin now that the bank
is
still expecting a next of kin or relative of the deceased, MR.
KRAANVOGEL
DIONIJS.

We could have done this deal alone but because of our position in
this
country as civil servants, we are not allowed to operate a foreign
account
and that would eventually raise an eye brow on our side during the
time of
transfer since we still work in this bank, this is the actual reason
why we
required a second party or fellow who will assist us forward claims as
the
next of kin and also provide either an existing bank account or to set
up a
new Bank a/c immediately to receive this fund, even an empty a/c can
also
serve for this purpose.

However, on smooth conclusion of this transaction, you will be
entitled to
25% as gratification for your assistance to us, while 5% will be set
aside
to take care of expenses on both sides that may arise during the time
of
transfer and also for telephone bills, and the remaining 70% will be
for me
and my colleague.

What I want from you is for you to act as the deceased next of kin. I
have
in my possession, all the necessary Documents to successfully
accomplish the
operation. Bear in mind that this proposal is 100% risk free. Further
Information will be given to you as soon as I receive your positive
response. I suggest you get back to me as soon as possible stating
your
wish. For confidentiality please contact me on my personal
email:tonycurtis50@netscape.net

Best Regards,
Mr. Tony Curtis
United Bank Ltd.

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 AM
TexasGirl22 TexasGirl22 is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
New Scam

I recently received the following email. I instantly saw SCAM written ALL over it, so I pretty much forgot about it until my fiancee called me this morning. He heard something on the radio about this scam and another one going around in the Houston, TX area asking people to deposit money into the ENRON exec's defense fund. Apparently, quite a few people fell for both of these scams and gave these people their bank account info. I've fallen for some scams, but you just gotta be a sucker to fall for these. Still, here is the email I received:

ATENTION
How are you my dear? I got your contact from the internet,and picked interest to write you. I am a male student from the University
of Lagos, Nigeria. I am 25 yrs old. I'd like any person who can
be caring, loving and home oriented. I will love to have a long-term
relationship with you and to know more about you. I would like to
build up a solid foundation with you in time coming if you can be
able to help me in this transaction.
Well, my father died earlier two months ago and left I
and my junior brother behind. He is a king, which our town citizens
titled him before he died. I was a prince to him and I am the
only person who can take care of his wealth now because my junior
sister is still a kid and my mother is not literate enough to know
all my father's wealth. He left up to USD 20,350,000
[twenty million three hundred and fifty thousand dollars)
with a security company in ABROAD and I don't know how to and what I will do to invest this money somewhere in abroad, so that my father's kindred will not take over what belongs to my father and our family, which they were planning to do without my present because I am a female as stated by our culture in the town. That is why I felt happy when I saw your contact because I strongly believe that by the grace of God, you will help me invest this money.
I am ready to pay 10% of the total amount to you if
you help us in this business and another 10% interest of Annual
After Income to you, for handling this business for us, which you will
strongly have absolute control over.
If you can handle this project sincerely and also
willing to assist me in lifting this fund, kindly reach me and I
will link you to my legal representative for further discussion.
Please, note that this transaction is 100% risk free and I hope to
commence the transaction as quick as possible, as soon as I here from you.

Yours sincerely ,

Prince ifeanyi W Emeka



Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 AM
brandoni68's Avatar
brandoni68 brandoni68 is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dazed and confused
Posts: 9
Re: New Scam

That's funny. I can't believe they didn't even proof read it before they sent it out. And I like the way they reafirmed "[twenty million three hundred and fifty thousand dollars)". With all that broken english, and the prior use of USD, why would they say dollars here? That terminology, coupled with" Well, my father died earlier two months ago and left I and my junior brother behind. He is a king, which our town citizens titled him before he died. I was a prince to him" and then "I am the only person who can take care of his wealth now because my junior sister is still a kid" and finally "because I am a female as stated by our culture in the town." definitly suggests this is a scam. English is a hard language to learn, we have many words with double and triple meanings. If you were learning english as a second language, you would not learn the word kid as a reference to a younger person, rather you would learn the word child. To you, a kid would be a young goat. no teacher would confuse you with informal or slang usage of the word. This is the worst attempt I have seen yet, I could go on for ever about the inconsistancies here. wonder what kind of person would be enough of a sucker to fall for this. Has any one else recieved anything like this? Thanks for sharing it Texasgirl!!

Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
scambuster's Avatar
scambuster scambuster is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Reality
Posts: 1,060
Re: New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl22
I recently received the following email. I instantly saw SCAM written ALL over it, so I pretty much forgot about it until my fiancee called me this morning. He heard something on the radio about this scam and another one going around in the Houston, TX area asking people to deposit money into the ENRON exec's defense fund. Apparently, quite a few people fell for both of these scams and gave these people their bank account info. I've fallen for some scams, but you just gotta be a sucker to fall for these. Still, here is the email I received:

ATENTION
How are you my dear? I got your contact from the internet,and picked interest to write you. I am a male student from the University
of Lagos, Nigeria. I am 25 yrs old. I'd like any person who can
be caring, loving and home oriented. I will love to have a long-term
relationship with you and to know more about you. I would like to
build up a solid foundation with you in time coming if you can be
able to help me in this transaction.
Well, my father died earlier two months ago and left I
and my junior brother behind. He is a king, which our town citizens
titled him before he died. I was a prince to him and I am the
only person who can take care of his wealth now because my junior
sister is still a kid and my mother is not literate enough to know
all my father's wealth. He left up to USD 20,350,000
[twenty million three hundred and fifty thousand dollars)
with a security company in ABROAD and I don't know how to and what I will do to invest this money somewhere in abroad, so that my father's kindred will not take over what belongs to my father and our family, which they were planning to do without my present because I am a female as stated by our culture in the town. That is why I felt happy when I saw your contact because I strongly believe that by the grace of God, you will help me invest this money.
I am ready to pay 10% of the total amount to you if
you help us in this business and another 10% interest of Annual
After Income to you, for handling this business for us, which you will
strongly have absolute control over.
If you can handle this project sincerely and also
willing to assist me in lifting this fund, kindly reach me and I
will link you to my legal representative for further discussion.
Please, note that this transaction is 100% risk free and I hope to
commence the transaction as quick as possible, as soon as I here from you.

Yours sincerely ,

Prince ifeanyi W Emeka
Not new.............

Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
chocho's Avatar
chocho chocho is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 476
Re: New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoni68
wonder what kind of person would be enough of a sucker to fall for this...
Amazingly, there's someone on one of the other threads who said that she and her husband got into one of these Nigerian scams (sounds like recently). I would have thought everybody knew about these guys by now, but I guess not...

Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-05-2005, 04:38 AM
scamsworstenemy scamsworstenemy is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1
Re: New Scam

:eek: I work in Investigations parttime in my home town here,and the email that you are referring to is actually called "The Nigerian Scam".
It is actually well known.
Peopl receive the same one you did...or it may change a little by stating that the wifes husband died and they need to move money and move into the USA fast...and so fourth.
What they are ACTUALLY wanting is people to give their banking details and then they will clean you out completely.

Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 AM
RJK1981 RJK1981 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 36
Re: New Scam

Actually they don't care about your banking details, you can give them all made up info and they will never notice, they just want you to keep sending them more and more money. Now if you give them real banking info they MAY actually check it out and if it's legit clean you out, but it's not about getting your banking info primarily

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-06-2005, 08:20 AM
senbassador senbassador is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Orleans metropolin area, LA, US
Posts: 3
Re: New Scam

Not only that this is way too obvious, I didn't even understand this and it didn't even make any sense. So this person is a male but then in his culture this person is also a female, and thus can't get any of this money. Riiiigghhhhhtttt, oouuuuukay!

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 05-09-2005, 01:22 PM
looking4dreams
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New Scam

I've gotten about 20 of them! I just waste their time like I do with telemarketers. I keep e-mailing them back acting like I'm stupid. They ask for my phone number to call me and I tell them but why because I can't half way understand your letter so I know I can't understand you on the phone or tell them I don't have a phone. Then they reply with well how do you have internet, duh, the same way I got TV-satellite baby! I lie to them and tell them my daddy's a king too! I'm hiding in america as a political refugee and I have millions in a swiss acct and I don't know what I would do if someone killed my father! I wouldn't have access to my money either so I would do what they do, sit in front of my computer sending e-mails 24-7!

It aint easy-being cheezy!

Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
senbassador senbassador is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Orleans metropolin area, LA, US
Posts: 3
Re: New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4dreams
I've gotten about 20 of them! I just waste their time like I do with telemarketers. I keep e-mailing them back acting like I'm stupid. They ask for my phone number to call me and I tell them but why because I can't half way understand your letter so I know I can't understand you on the phone or tell them I don't have a phone. Then they reply with well how do you have internet, duh, the same way I got TV-satellite baby! I lie to them and tell them my daddy's a king too! I'm hiding in america as a political refugee and I have millions in a swiss acct and I don't know what I would do if someone killed my father! I wouldn't have access to my money either so I would do what they do, sit in front of my computer sending e-mails 24-7!

It aint easy-being cheezy!


And you do ALL of that JUST to waste their time. Ok, so let me get this straight, you "waste" your own time, and about the same amount of your own time as you waste of theirs, just to get them to waste their time. Well, you certainly do stick it to them, but this doesn't sound all that time efficient to me at all. I guess maybe if you're good at it. Just to be fair though, you aren't "wasting" your time per se since you're at least having fun while their being frustirated. YOU: 1, Spammers: 0.

Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 05-12-2005, 07:23 PM
looking4dreams
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New Scam

senbassador! ha ha ha, that's all I have is time on my hands. I'm a stay at home mom, I mean c'mon I can only scrub the floors so many times a day before that gets old. My heart just jumps a beat when I get a chance to play with a telemarketer! Silly? Maybe, but it's still fun to me and the old man gets a kick out of me too.

I have my number on the national do not call list but every now and then someone slips into my web!

The funniest one that I ever had on the phone was a guy doing a survey he said, he didn't get far! He said isn't it true that there's too much sex, nudity, violence and profanity on t.v. today? I said too much! Hell, there's not enough.........I love it! I heard this guy actually gasp like he had just had a conversation with the anti-christ but I couldn't help it. I was in the middle of cooking around 5:30 that afternoon and I hate it when telemarketers interrupt me, lol. I felt bad after that one, but it was funny!

Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
kishat kishat is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2
Re: New Scam

Is it a boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl22
Well, my father died earlier two months ago and left I
and my junior brother behind.
Or a girl?

Quote:
I was a prince to him and I am the
only person who can take care of his wealth now because my junior
sister
is still a kid and my mother is not literate enough to know
all my father's wealth.
Boy?

Quote:
I am a male student from the University
or girl?

Quote:
without my present because I am a female as stated by our culture in the town.

Roflol


Kisha :D


Last edited by kishat : 05-12-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 05-14-2005, 04:05 AM
looking4dreams
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New Scam

Good job Kisha!!! I didn't pay attention to see all of that and I'm sure no one caught that. I just read over the letter quickly, probably the same way everyone did except you, that's cool!

Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 05-15-2005, 06:46 PM
senbassador senbassador is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Orleans metropolin area, LA, US
Posts: 3
Re: New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4dreams
senbassador! ha ha ha, that's all I have is time on my hands. I'm a stay at home mom, I mean c'mon I can only scrub the floors so many times a day before that gets old. My heart just jumps a beat when I get a chance to play with a telemarketer! Silly? Maybe, but it's still fun to me and the old man gets a kick out of me too.

I have my number on the national do not call list but every now and then someone slips into my web!

The funniest one that I ever had on the phone was a guy doing a survey he said, he didn't get far! He said isn't it true that there's too much sex, nudity, violence and profanity on t.v. today? I said too much! Hell, there's not enough.........I love it! I heard this guy actually gasp like he had just had a conversation with the anti-christ but I couldn't help it. I was in the middle of cooking around 5:30 that afternoon and I hate it when telemarketers interrupt me, lol. I felt bad after that one, but it was funny!

Ok come on, you know I was only being half-sarcastic about that. Surely I got some spare time on my hands as well ;). Yes, its very fun I am sure and I would do it too if more scammers emailed me and I knew all the tricks and ways to **** with them. Naturally though, over time they will only evolve and know what to look for so you'd/we'd have to come up with newer ways and surely I would like to get in on it. There even is a site dedicated to this sort of thing I hear, 419eater.com. My overall point though is that it does seem like a lost cause, considering that in the long run you'd have to spend some of your own time (no matter how fun it may be) in order to get to get them to waste their time and get frustriated and no matter how many you get there will always be more. And another one and another one and another bites the dust. In fact I am even planning on dedicating a small piece of webspace in my hall of shame in a blog I am putting together to them. I allready have a collection of links to some spoofs out there and I have one site saterized allready. And another one bites the dust. Granted, it take forever for me to put this together because a) I am lazy, b) I procrastinate, and c) I have other things to do but I'll get around it eventually. In the meantime have fun.

btw now thanks to my reply to this message board I have that song stuck in my head :D

Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
kishat kishat is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2
Re: New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by senbassador
Granted, it take forever for me to put this together because a) I am lazy, b) I procrastinate, and c) I have other things to do but I'll get around it eventually. In the meantime have fun. :D
Senbassador, I think we suffer from the same disease. lol

Kisha :)

Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
brandoni68's Avatar
brandoni68 brandoni68 is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dazed and confused
Posts: 9
Re: New Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4dreams
Good job Kisha!!! I didn't pay attention to see all of that and I'm sure no one caught that. I just read over the letter quickly, probably the same way everyone did except you, that's cool!
Yeah, apparently you don't pay much attention to the other posts either. Maybe you should read the thread before you post.

Senbassador, you ROCK!! It's about time I see someone being real on here. Thanks for the funny posts, the last one made my night. I cant help but be amused by stupid people, and it's great when they don't even realize someone is laughing at them!!


Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Investment/Romance Scams in Petra/Wadi Musa Wastenator Investment Scams 2 05-08-2013 10:32 AM
Mitt Romney Investment Scams Administrator Investment Scams 0 11-06-2012 11:07 AM
investment scams amanzi Investment Scams 6 12-16-2006 11:07 AM
How to Avoid Internet Investment Scams ScamExpert Investment Scams 0 01-17-2006 07:48 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




This site may contain advice, opinions and statements of various information providers. Scam.com does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any information provider, any User of this Site or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement, or other information shall also be at the Userís own risk. Neither Scam.com nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers, shall be liable to any User or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, alteration of or use of any content herein, or for its timeliness or completeness, nor shall they be liable for any failure of performance, computer virus or communication line failure, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom. Just because a business, person, or entity is listed on scam.com does not necessarily constitute they are scammers. This is a free open forum where people can debate the merits from the consumer's or business owner's perspective. Registration and participation is always FREE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.




Scam.com Is Proudly Hosted By Rackco and Protected By CloudFlare


Scams Message Board - Copyright 2004-2013 Scam.com , All Rights Reserved.